728x90 AdSpace

  • Latest News

    Tuesday, April 4, 2017

    Eldense coach arrested after 12-0 loss to Barcelona B team



    An Italian coach has been arrested by Spanish police investigating allegations of match-fixing.
    Filippo di Pierro, the boss of Spanish third division side Eldense, was arrested after his side's 12-0 defeat by Barcelona's B team on Saturday.
    There is no indication Barcelona B were involved in any wrongdoing.
    Di Pierro, who joined the club in January, was hired by an unnamed Italian investment group that has since severed ties with the club.
    The defeat, a joint record for Spain's third tier, sealed Eldense's relegation.
    The following day the club said they would not play any more matches this season, but later backtracked and confirmed the fixtures would be honoured.

    What happened during the game?

    In an interview with Spanish radio station, Cadena Ser, Eldense defender Emmanuel Mendy said the club's assistant coach, Fran Ruiz, had spoken to him about a plan to fix the game.
    "He asked me if I was in and how much I wanted and if I wasn't in then I wouldn't play," said Mendy.
    Ruiz also spoke to Cadena Ser and reportedly said: "In principle the orders came from above, from the coach.
    "I didn't know what to do, I was between a rock and a hard place.
    "I didn't say a word in the dugout, I made no substitutions and I didn't send anyone out to warm up. Then I resigned from the club."
    Barcelona first-team coach Luis Enrique has also commented on the situation, which he described as "very delicate".
    "It's exclusively related to Eldense," he said. "Barca B have nothing to do with it and is another victim of this racketeering.
    "I'm glad that it's being investigated and is being taken seriously."
    • Blogger Comments
    • Facebook Comments

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Item Reviewed: Eldense coach arrested after 12-0 loss to Barcelona B team Rating: 5 Reviewed By: billsports
    Scroll to Top