728x90 AdSpace

  • Latest News

    Sunday, June 28, 2015

    Thanasis Kokkinakis is ‘Australia tennis pin-up’: Pat Rafter



    Thanasis Kokkinakis is Australian tennis’ perfect role model, according to Pat Rafter.
    Former world No 1 Rafter has made it clear he — and other Tennis Australia officials — will no longer tolerate petulance from players, coaches and parents.
    And he described Kokkinakis, 19, as being an ideal example of how Australian players should behave.
    “I will say I am very impressed with Thanasi,” Rafter said.
    “I love his attitude. He may not have that raw, gifted talent as much as a (Bernard) Tomic and (Nick) Kyrgios, but he’s not far off.
     “But what he has is that he wants to be there, he wants to be a player,” he said.
    “He loves it, he trains hard and his on-court attitude is fantastic.
    “His Davis Cup (performance against the Czech Republic) with Wally (Masur) was brilliant. That’s our role model. That’s our Australian tennis pin-up boy right there.
    “When I look at the set up of Thanasi and the way he goes about it, I’m very impressed,” Rafter said.
    Kokkinakis has risen quickly to world No 69 but his qualities extend beyond the court with his approachability and personality.
    “I try and keep it together. I do lose my head sometimes,” he said.
     “I try and swear into a towel or something like that, if that’s the case.
    “If you get too angry, you use a lot of energy and it takes it out of you mentally, especially over a best of five set match,” he said.
    “I try to keep it on an even keel. When I need it, then I’ll let it out.”
    Kokkinakis has had a traumatic time since losing to world No. 1 Novak Djokovic at the French Open.
    His grandmother, 87, passed away last week and, this week, the teenager was so ill with an infection he was almost hospitalised.

    Kokkinakis plays Argentine Leonardo Mayer in the first round.
    • Blogger Comments
    • Facebook Comments

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Item Reviewed: Thanasis Kokkinakis is ‘Australia tennis pin-up’: Pat Rafter Rating: 5 Reviewed By: billsports
    Scroll to Top