728x90 AdSpace

  • Latest News

    Friday, June 12, 2015

    Nadal Survives Baghdatis clash..



    Top seed Rafael Nadal came through a tough opening match Thursday at the MercedesCup, battling past Marcos Baghdatis 7-6(5), 6-7(4), 6-2 to reach the quarter-finals in Stuttgart.

    The Spaniard fought back from a break down to clinch the opening set and broke his Cypriot opponent twice to take control of the decider, claiming victory in two hours and 40 minutes.
    "It was a little bit of a strange match," said Nadal. "I’m happy to be through. It’s an important victory for me. The first match on grass is always very difficult... At the beginning I didn’t play my best, but I finished the match much better than how I started."
    Nadal, who is through to the doubles semi-finals with Feliciano Lopez, is playing in Stuttgart for the first time since lifting the trophy at the then-clay-court tournament in 2007 (d. Wawrinka). He also won the title in 2005 (d. Gaudio).

    The 29-year-old Nadal notched his 30th win of the season. He is coming off a quarter-final exit at Roland Garros (l. to Djokovic), where he suffered just his second loss in 72 matches at the clay-court Grand Slam.

    Next up for Nadal will be fifth seed Bernard Tomic, who reached his seventh ATP World Tour quarter-final of the season as he ended Tommy Haas’ comeback with a 7-6(6), 6-2 victory.

    The Australian lost just 10 points on serve and converted two of his eight break points to win the match in 77 minutes. The 37-year-old Haas was playing his first tournament in 12 months, since undergoing shoulder surgery in June 2014. 

    "I was down 6-4 in the tie-break and managed to hit an unbelievable pass," said Tomic. "That was the turning point; I managed to hit the right shot at the right time. In the second set, I felt like I played the right tennis and played really well. Match by match I'm getting better, which is the most important thing I think."

    "Losing the first set mentally put me in a bad mood," said Haas. "I thought about it probably for too long. Then I got broken right away in the second set and he took off from there. I felt my shoulder was getting a bit tight, which didn't help, but overall I'm pleased with the way I played."

    German qualifier Mischa Zverev advanced to his first quarter-final in almost two years as he defeated Andreas Seppi 6-2, 6-4 in 76 minutes. The 27 year old goes on to challenge second seed Marin Cilic, who beat home hopeMatthias Bachinger 7-6(2), 6-3 in the last match of the day.
    "I'm just really, really happy," said Zverev. "It took me two years to get back into an ATP quarter-final. I've been through a lot, a lot of injuries and time out. Starting last off-season, where I trained with my brother, we had a lot of great weeks together. It gave me an extra little push to do well again on tour. Now I'm happy I can perform again and stay healthy."

    Buy Tickets | TV Schedule
    Success For Seeds In Stuttgart QFs
    Second seeds Marcin Matkowski and Nenad Zimonjic advanced to the doubles semi-finals with a 7-6(6), 6-2 victory over Dustin Brown and Andreas Haider-Maurer in 64 minutes. They will face fourth seeds Rohan Bopanna and Florin Mergea, who beat Mate Pavic and Michael Venus 7-6(5), 6-2. 

    “It’s always tough, the first week on the grass,” said Zimonjic. “I’m happy that we went through today in two sets. It’s not going to be easy in the semi-finals. We’re expecting a tough match and we’re looking forward to the next challenge.”
    Third seeds Alexander Peya and Bruno Soares also reached the final four, beating Andre Begemann and Julian Knowle 6-4, 6-4.
    • Blogger Comments
    • Facebook Comments

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Item Reviewed: Nadal Survives Baghdatis clash.. Rating: 5 Reviewed By: billsports
    Scroll to Top