728x90 AdSpace

  • Latest News

    Sunday, February 26, 2017

    Stefanidi: “I’m ready to jump 4.90m right now”



    Ekaterini Stefanidi broke Yelena Isinbayeva’s championship record in “probably some of the most difficult conditions I’ve ever jumped in,” at the European Athletics Championships in Amsterdam last July and the Russian could lose another of her records in Belgrade.
    But first and foremost for Stefanidi next weekend is winning.
    “The gold medal is the most important thing so if I win with 4.40m, I’ll still be happy!” said Stefanidi. “But it’s definitely something in the back of my mind. Last year I got the outdoor record from [Isinbayeva] so it’s definitely a goal.”
    Stefanidi’s main focus this year is an assault on the world outdoor title in London in August so while we might have to wait for a few months until we see Stefanidi at her very best, the American-based Greek vaulter has still been scaling heights only world indoor record-holder Jenn Suhr has surpassed this winter.
    Stefanidi cleared 4.82m at the Millrose Games in New York to move to second on the world rankings - and top of the European lists - and even at less than full health, the silver medallist from Prague still had the beating of an international-level field in Birmingham last weekend with a 4.63m clearance.
    “I’m happy with the 4.82m but I had some issues coming in to Birmingham,” reflected Stefanidi on her form. “I picked up a cold on the plane and I was hyperventilating before each jump trying to take a deep breath. I felt good but I could not recover between jumps. I know I’m in good form going into Belgrade - I just need to get healthy again.”
    After a busy month of travel and competition, Stefanidi has been putting the finishing touches to her preparations back home in Greece for an assault on not only another major title but perhaps the championship record which stands to Isinbayeva at 4.90m.
    “I think I’m ready to jump 4.90m right now,” she said. “We are still fine-tuning my run and my training is to peak for London and not for Belgrade.”
    Stefanidi will be one of the biggest names in action in Belgrade and the only athlete in contention for a hat-trick of titles in eight months. In the build-up to her Olympic triumph, Stefanidi said beating the elements in Amsterdam - which proved Renaud Lavillenie’s undoing - galvanised her belief that she can get towards five metres whatever the weather.
    “Jumping 4.81m in those tough conditions helped me heading towards Rio. More than winning the championships, it was knowing I could get the height even if the conditions weren’t great,” she said
    • Blogger Comments
    • Facebook Comments

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Item Reviewed: Stefanidi: “I’m ready to jump 4.90m right now” Rating: 5 Reviewed By: billsports
    Scroll to Top